3rd Annual Merriment in Georgetown Celebration Featuring Unique Holiday Shopping and Festivities for All
Next Sunday, December 5th, they’re shutting down part of Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown for an exciting neighborhood-wide holiday street festival which will feature tasty treats and gourmet hot chocolate tastings from some of Georgetown’s best restaurants, live musical performances, complimentary horse-drawn carriage rides, hilarious new contests (fruitcake, anyone?) and exclusive shopping sales at more than 50 chic neighborhood merchants!
There is no place in D.C. that feels more Dickens-esque during the holidays than the charming, historic neighborhood of Georgetown. The cobblestone streets will radiate holiday spirit during the 3rd annual Merriment in Georgetown on Sunday, December 5th from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Wisconsin Ave. between M and N Streets; closed to traffic for the event. The enchanting holiday street festival will offer live holiday music performances, complimentary horse-drawn carriage rides, a book signing with American Girl author Valerie Tripp and of course, a meet-and-greet with Santa and his elves. Shoppers are also invited to kick-off their holiday shopping with exclusive sales and savings at more than 50 participating stores and restaurants throughout Georgetown.
“The historic neighborhood charm in Georgetown is the perfect backdrop to celebrate the holiday season,” said Nancy Miyahira, marketing director at the Georgetown Business Improvement District (BID). “Merriment in Georgetown was designed to capture Georgetown’s Charles Dickens-like environment and deliver the holiday spirit through exciting activities that are fun for families and holiday shoppers.”
The magical celebration will offer exciting entertainment and several festive activities for all. Yuletide activities at Merriment in Georgetown include:
- Live performance from Milkshake: From 2-3 p.m., children can sing and dance to a special performance by popular PBS Kids’ and Noggin acclaimed kids’ rock band;
- Book signing with American Girl author Valerie Tripp: Girls are invited to bring their favorite dolls for a special book signing with the award-winning children’s author. There will also be “My Doll & Me” activities including hair braiding, jewelry making, and arts & crafts;
- Complimentary horse-drawn carriage rides: Guests will enjoy charming carriage rides around the neighborhood’s cobblestone streets;
- Santa meet-and-greet: Guests can meet and take free photos with Santa and other beloved holiday characters;
- Gourmet hot cocoa tastings: Visitors can stay warm with gourmet hot chocolate tastings from several Georgetown restaurants. Proceeds will benefit the Prevention of Blindness Society (POB) who will also be providing free vision screenings;
- Beautiful choral performances: The afternoon will feature performances by local musical groups including the Georgetown Phantoms, a Georgetown University a capella group and the Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington, DC;
- Fruitcake eating contest: Participants will compete to devour as much of the infamous holiday treat as they can to win great prizes;
- “Don’t Forget the Lyrics” – Holiday Style: Visitors can test out their vocal chords and holiday lyrics acumen with a special guest-hosted “Don’t Forget the Lyrics” contest.
Shoppers are invited to kick-off their holiday shopping without guilt as over 50 Georgetown merchants will offer exclusive deals and savings throughout the afternoon. In between the festivities and shopping, visitors can relax, unwind and enjoy specials and treats at more than 10 of the neighborhood’s finest restaurants.
The festive afternoon will wind down with the Washington, DC Gay Men’s Chorus and candlelight caroling at 4:15 p.m. followed by the 5th Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony at 5:30 p.m. at Washington Harbour; and the Boat Parade of Lights at 6 p.m.
Merriment in Georgetown is presented and sponsored by the Georgetown Business Improvement District (BID) in partnership with the Citizens Association of Georgetown and the Georgetown Business Association. The event is located at Wisconsin Avenue, NW, between M and N Streets with a number of holiday activities and events taking place throughout Georgetown. Merriment in Georgetown attendees have a number of transportation options, including taking either the Circulator line from Union Station/Georgetown or the Circulator line from Rosslyn/Dupont, which runs along M Street.